On Fri, April 9th Marcelo and I are heading to Miami, Florida for the VERY FIRST TIME!!! We are special guest DJs for the Heineken Transatlantic Festival and we can't wait!!! Bye, bye gloomy, rainy days and hello SOL, beaches, musica, and some of the other stuff that Miami is known for, jejeje;-)!! We already have a growing fan base so we're looking forward to meeting new friends and making your tan culos dance!!
FRIDAY, APRIL 9TH - 7PM
North Beach Bandshell, 7275 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach
Tickets $20 - order online now or call (305) 672-5202
Bomba Estereo, from Bogota Colombia
Orquestra Contemporanea, from Pernambuco, Brazil
Visit Bomba Estereo online: Colombian cumbia and champeta meet in an explosive dance-fusion of electronic dub and hip hop. One of Nacional Records' most exciting new bands.
Visit Orquestra Contemporanea de Olinda online: From music-crazed Northeast Brazil, comes a band of Permanbuco's top young musicians, carrying forward the legacy of the late musical genrius Chico Science - a groove-filled fusion of frevo and forro with drum & bass, rock and world rhythms. Som Livre recording artists OCO make their US debut tour this spring.
After show party: t/b/a
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Heineken TransAtlantic Festival was created in 2003 by The Rhythm Foundation, a Miami-based non profit cultural organization. The Rhythm Foundation is the leading presenter of World Music in South Florida.
The Festival explores modern world music from the great cities of the Atlantic rim - Europe, Africa, Brazil, Argentina, the Caribbean, NYC and features artists working in the beautiful collision between traditional rhythms and electronica/DJ culture. The series pays tribute to Miami as a true modern TransAtlantic capital, a crossroads of the Americas and Europe.
Heineken TransAtlantic Festival highlights to date:
* "Best Concert Series" - New Times 2008 Best of Miami
* “Best Festival” – New Times 2004 Best of Miami
* “Best Festival” - Sun Post 2005 Best of Beaches
* US debut of Spanish flamenco chill-out stars Chambao (2007)
* Florida debut of Afropop sensations Amadou and Mariam (2006)
* Florida debut of Mexican singer Ximena Sariñana (2009)
* Florida debut of Parisians Nouvelle Vague (2006)
* US debut of Brazilian singer Céu (2007)
* Florida debut of Malian legends Tinariwen (2009)
* US debut of Grammy Award winning new tango group Bajofondo (2005)
* Florida debut of Asian underground artist Karsh Kale (2004)
* Florida debut of Barcelona’sThe Pinker Tones (2007)
* Florida debut of UK soul group Zero 7 (2004)
* Florida debut of Brazilian chanteuse Maria Rita (2005)
Other groups presented include: Seu Jorge, Bossacucanova, DJ Da Lua, Supervielle, Juana Molina, Ojos de Brujo, Aterciopelados, Mariza, Sidestepper, Medeski Martin and Wood, Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra. Some of the best locally-based artists at the core of the new sound of Miami have been featured, such as Locos por Juana, Agape, Suenalo Sound System and DJ Le Spam and the Spam Allstars. The Heineken TransAtlantic Festival also features film screenings such as an Emmy Award-winning Manu Chao documentary and the indescribable feature One Giant Leap.
For information about The Rhythm Foundation, call 305-672-5202 or visit RhythmFoundation.com